Monday, August 25, 2008

Jeremy and Megan, August 23, 2008


I have to admit, it was with some trepidation that I came to review Jeremy and Megan's pig roast and crawdad feed. I had only met these guys a couple times, and Jeremy hails from Kansas, one of the world's capitals of great barbecue. What would a perfect 18 look like, and would I even recognize it if I saw it? And if a man with the audacity to serve his friends a goddamn entire roasted pig generates such doubt in me, what does that say about me as a reviewer? Fortunately, Jeremy and Megan's congeniality and generosity put my mind at ease.

1. Quality of grilling gear.



This is the Caja China pig roasting box. Ideally suited for roasting pigs up to 70 pounds, it is heated with hot coals arranged on top. A man who owns one of these is clearly committed to the art. Not only that, but there was also a 25 gallon stainless steel pot with a propane fired burner for boiling crawdads. Easily 2 points here.

2. Quality of meat.



Any barbecue that starts with 50 pounds of boiled crawfish is something special. Who even knew we had these critters up here? According to Jeremy, Lake Washington is one of the largest producers of crawfish outside of Louisiana. And these suckers were big, more like small lobsters, they actually had some claw meat.


And did I mention the pig? This was an animal who had given himself up in his young adolescence to nourish 40 hard working young people and prepared with a great deal of care and respect. (I asked Jeremy why there was no apple in its mouth and his response was emphatic: "Because it's demeaning to the animal.") The roast was to perfection, not dry in the least. I do not share others' fondness for roasted pig skin, but the meat was lean, tender, and delicious. Hardcore meat has no precedence for extra credit, so unfortunately we can only give 2 points here. However, we are very impressed and well fed.

3. Alcohol.

We've always said, it's not about extravagance, it's about what suits the party and the keg of Miller Genuine Draft was just the thing. There was also a well stocked bar inside and I finished the evening with a whiskey. 2 points.

4. Side dishes.

There were many, fancy cole slaws and a curried baklava recipe. But I want you to focus on these 6 words: Macaroni, cheese, and bacon bundt cake. I am being serious. 2 points.

5. The crowd.

This was my first time with the Kansas clan, and what a great group of kids. These people seem really tight with each other yet we, the newcomers, were able to mingle with ease. There were friends that go back as far as high school and it's always such a pleasure to find people who enjoy each other this much. 2 points.

6. Music.

About half way through the party, Jeremy asked me what his score was. (Note to others: this is a big no-no and could potentially interfere with the reviewer's buzz, with devastating consequences. I decided Jeremy was simply making conversation and was simply unfamiliar with the academic points of barbecue review.) I had to be honest. The music seemed innocuous enough, but I had barely noticed it. It was quiet and whatever it was that was playing seemed designed not to offend. At that, Jeremy invited me inside to take over. And what I found were 2000 vinyl LPs. Most of what we were listening to was old school rap and 70's soul. Kool Moe Dee. Isaac Hayes. Stevie Wonder. Yes, someone put on the new(?!) Guns n' Roses at the end of the night, but there's always some yahoo like that. With such an embarrassment of riches, why was the volume so low, Jeremy? Hardcore Meat wants to dance! I'm forced to take off a quarter point. 1.75 here.

7. Setting.

Well, the purpose of the party was to celebrate the completion of the new deck, and a fine deck she was. Jeremy and Megan have a really sweet pad, with lots of great details and the weather was beautiful. 2 points.

8. Dessert.

There were a number of great desserts (including a bowl of candy bars -- rad!) but I have to admit the coconut creme pie baked by yours truly capped them all. (Do you hear that people? Invite me over and I am liable to do something like bring coconut creme pie.) 2 points.

9. Do we like you?

Ordinarily, we usually finish off by saying how much we enjoyed our hosts' company, but for once we actually mean it. Jeremy and Megan are sweet, generous hosts who we are happy to have met this past year. Jeremy was clearly having a blast in his grandfather's jumpsuit, tending the gear and feeding an army of his friends. We'd be happy to share meat with them again, any time.

17.75 points.

The Action BBQ photographer takes a break to enjoy a crawdad

1 comment:

WoW Killa said...

What was the deal with all that rose tequila? I haven't had a drink like that since I was trying to fvck soroiety freshmen.